Coco peat is a natural fiber made out of coconut husks. The extraction of the coconut fiber from husks gives us this by-product called coco peat. Coco peat or Coir Fiber Pith is derived as a byproduct in the process of fiber extraction from the Husk of the coconut. The Eco-friendly material Coco peat is a 100% natural growing medium.
Coco peat is dried under natural sunlight, and processed to produce various growing mechanisms. Coco peat has a highly porous material structure. Hence Coco peat can absorb large volumes of water. Generally Coco peat can absorb water about half of its volume and 5 to 6 times its weight. Coco peat has great oxygenation properties. That makes Coco peat rooting solutions highly suitable for potting mixtures.
Coco peat is a multi purpose growing medium made out of coconut husk. Coco peat is a very good alternative to traditional peat moss and Rock wool. Its air filled porosity and high water holding capacity makes it, an ideal growing medium for the plant crops. It is 100% organic and Eco friendly, free from soil borne pathogen and weed. It has a pH of 5.7 – 6.5 ,EC level <1 mS/cm is ideal for plant growth.
Uses Of Coco-Peat:
- Coco peat is now used as a medium for seedling nurseries, for bedding plants, for potting mix supplies, for landscaping, and for the hydroponic production of flowers, vegetables, trees, shrubs, compost bins, container gardening, casing layer for mushroom.
- Coco peat stands out as the Eco-friendly and more reliable replacement for the sphagnum peat moss, rock wool and sawdust.
- Coco peat-based products provide an excellent growing and rooting medium for hydroponics or container-based plant growing.
Cocopeat is used in various fields such as:
- Potting mix suppliers
- Green houses
- Hydroponic Growers
- Nursery & Garden center professionals
- Seedling Nurseries
- Lawn and Golf course constructors
- Horticulture applications
- Home Gardening (indoor and out door) and for landscaping use
Advantages of Coco Peat:
- Coco peat can be used as a soil less growth medium for hydroponics.
- It is good both for indoor and outdoor use.
- The pH content of Coco peat is neutral to slightly acidic, and is therefore very beneficial for plants.
- Coco peat are entirely organic. There is no harmful effects on the environment when disposed of.
- The rapid re-wet ability and quick draining characteristic of Coco peat also reduces the loss of nutrients through leaching.
- The coconut peat is resistant to bacterial, weed, fungal growth, and is truly pathogen free.
- Excellent water retention properties. Coco peat needs less watering (up to 65%) as compared to the peat moss. It holds water rather than shedding it like the traditional peat moss.
- The coconut peat is a better natural soil conditioner; it prevents the hardening of potting soil and increases soil porosity.
- Naturally high lignin content promotes the development of favorable micro-organisms.
- Coco peat is physically stable and is very slow to disintegrate. It only begins to break down when it is 10 years old.
- Coco peat is reusable and recyclable for up to four years.