Toothpaste is an oral care product that almost everybody uses. Every toothpaste brand uses a different chemical composition for manufacturing a toothpaste. Each of these chemicals has its own purpose. The chemicals used in toothpaste helps fight cavities, Whitening Teeth, Remove bad Breath.
The chemicals are Flavor Cola, Flavor Peppermint, Flavor Spearmint, sodium monofluorophosphate, Tetra Sod. Pyro Phosphate, Allantoin, Triclosan , Silica MFIL-P, Silica ABSIL-100©, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbet, Sodium Saccharin, Xenthum Gum, Glycerin, PEG-400, sodium lauryl sulphate, Sorbitol 70% Liquid, Menthol, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium C.M.C, Titanium Dioxide, Peppermint Oil, Clove Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Erythromycin, Brilliant Blue F.C.F, Potassium Nitrate etc.
These are the chemicals that are used to make up toothpaste. Each of these chemicals has its separate purpose.
- Sodium monofluorophosphate is used in toothpastes to protect tooth enamel from attack by bacteria.
- Tetra Sod. Phosphate is used in toothpaste for whitening the teeth.
- Allantoin helps to heal wounds and skin irritations and stimulates the growth of healthy tissue.
- Triclosan help to prevent bacterial contamination.
- Silica MFIL-P & Xenthum Gum gives thickening effect to gel toothpaste.
- Silica ABSIL-100© and Sodium C.M.C Are used for superior rheological control and polishing properties in toothpaste formulation.
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) removes plaque from teeth.
- Sodium benzoate inhibit the action of yeast and bacteria.
- Xylitol not only prevents toothpaste from tasting bad, but also helps prevent cavity formation. The Xylitol is a sweetener, but without sugar.
- Glycerin prevents dryness in the mouth during brushing. It help reduce bacterial activity by reducing the available water activity.
- PEG-400 are used as a humectants and solvents.
- Sodium lauryl sulphate helps to properly disperse the ingredients during brushing, and ensures easy rinsing and removal of debris (i.e. food particles).
- Menthol helps bring out the clean mouth feeling of the mint.
- Titanium Dioxide is used to enhance the white colour and brightness of toothpaste.
- Tea Tree oil helps to maintain oral microbiome balance and eliminate microorganisms.
- Erythromycin used to prevent bacterial infections.
- Potassium nitrate decreases the fluid flow through the tubules by clogging them, decreases the level of activity of dental sensory nerves and prevents or reduces the sensation signals from reaching the brain.